A shoulder surfer is someone
who watches over your shoulder
as you "surf" the
Help Cory Doctorow and the Electronic Frontier Foundation
eradicate Digital Rights Management
Hear Cory talk about DRM
October is Cyber Security Awareness Month
Click for the Online Safety Basics
"I am not a leader.
I am a loner with people who happen to
walk in the same direction as me."
- The Cheshire Catalyst answering a question about his
leadership position in the computer hacking communitty.
Then a buddy of mine sent me the following:
“If your actions inspire others to dream more,
learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”
-John Quincy Adams
Link to my Birthday Article
Link to my Leap Second Page
Placed on the site on 2016-12-31
I plan to attend the Iot Evolution Expo
(on the Internet Of Things)
2018-01-22 to 01-15
(Exhibits Registration is free)
When I need encrypted Text Messaging, I use SIGNAL
Cheshire's Post HOPE Web Pages
Pages with links based on the Hackers On Planet Earth conferences
|Help get the the documentary|
Hack This Movie
|Titusville FL 2600 Gathering|
1st Friday of each month
Playalinda Brewing Co
305 S Washington Ave (US-1 Northbound)
Titusvile FL 32796
|Melbourne FL 2600 Gathering|
1st Friday of each month
Sun Shoppe Cafe
540 E New Haven Ave. 5:30 pm
And a little child shall lead them
Or someone with a child like imagination
I wanted to attend, but couldn't.
I feel like I've missed Woodstock. Again.
> The program said "Requires Windows 98 > or better to run properly." So I > installed Linux.
|Got a Blue Box?|
Visit ProjectMF.Org to find an Asterisk PBX
that will accept Multi Frequency tones.
Are you ready to SIP the Kool-Aid®?
Study up on Session Initiation Protocol
The "Internet Method" of telephone switching
|Buy Cheshire's book!|
Of course They're Secrets
They're In The Manual
Includes images of back issues
of the TAP and YIPL newsletters.
|Protect your computer from viruses. |
Buy AVG Anti-Virus.
AdvancedWriters offers original papers written by experienced essay writers.
|Root Your Kindle|
Using eBook readers as small tablets.
You won't see many messages from me, but I've got it.
| ACLU Bust Card|
Do's and Don'ts when they come in through the bedroom window.
You've heard about it.
Now download it!
The color of the muppet above
represents the current
Terror Alert Level
A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have... any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
Welcome to my Home PageThe Cheshire Catalyst is Richard Cheshire, former editor of the TAP Newsletter. Folks either call him Chesh or Cheshire. People who don't know him, read his name tag and call him Richard. Only salesmen ever try to call him Dick. There are those who have known him for years who still call him Ozzie, however.
OK, Kevin's Free. I'm happy for the fellow. But 2600 is now under fire from the Motion Picture Association of America, the MPAA. Yess, the people who "rate" motion pictures for the public. They are also "Keepers of the Intellectual Property" for DVD's. 2600 meerly pointed Hyperlinks at DVD Decoding Software, and got their ass sued. Fortunately, the Electronic Frontier Foundation has come to their financial aid in the matter, but 2600 needs our support.
Buy Their Shirt
And Wear It To The Movies!
Even The New York Times has taken notice!
Of course, if you'd just rather read something about him, there's the 1982 article from "Technology Illustrated" magazine. Don't be surprised if this clueless journalist gets the technical details wrong. He did the best he could do. (Oh, and I should warn you that there is just alittle hyperbole in use - Hell, I didn't reccognize myself in there!)Here's a Definition of me found while doing an "ego scan" of "CheshireCatalyst" on Google.
If you're interested, you can read
|Surgeon General's Warning:|
The Capitol Steps will cause your sides to split.
-C. Everett Koop, 1/6/89
Swordfish? In the John Travolta movie "Swordfish", his character talked about alot of movies, but he never explained the title of the film itself.The reason that "Swordfish" is the ultimate password is based on the Marx Brothers movie "Horse Feathers" (1932) in which Chico says,
| The Swordfish Routine - Text.|
The Swordfish Wave File
The Youtube of the video
Infrequent Sex, Exercise May Raise Risk Of Heart Attack
so have sex frequently!
- The Cheshire CatalystsSecrets of Windows for Newbies.
- My own little FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) Page for the Manual Impaired. These aren't really secrets, but since they're in the manual that no one reads, they might as well be. My motto, you know, is "Share The Knowledge".
- The Cheshire Catalyst'sInternet Secrets.
- Sure, some internet users are clueless. So here's a few clues.
- The Cheshire Catalyst'sTutorial for Writing Web Pages.
- Something I'mstill throwing together for friends who want to have their own web pages. It's still in-work, so let me know if there's something you still need explained. (There is also a web site full ofVarious Windows stuff tutorials)
You can't break the rules, but
once you know what they are,
you can abuse thehell out of them!
Wired Magazine has thisincredible article on undersea telecommunications cables!
I expect that only Phone Phreaks and Telecomm Geeks will really get into it, though. A particularly geeky site visited by The Techno Tourist was the Porthcurno Telegraph Museum in Cornwall, England. This is where overseas cables come ashore for Great Britain.
If you're going to read the article,don't do it while on-line (it'smuch too long). Download it first, and save it to your disk. Then read it at your leisure. (please remember, this was put on this page in 1997, during the Dial-Up Era)
- Click on the magazine cover to bring up the article.
- Click on "File" in the menu bar (or hit ALT-F)
- Within theFile menu, click on "SaveAs". (or hit the A key - the underlined letters are Clues)
- Use the features in the "Save As" window to change directories (folders) and to rename the file what you'd like.
Things That Amuse Me
- 2600 Magazine. This is a fitting "follow-on" to theTAP Newsletter that I published once upon a time.
- Secrets of the Little Blue Box, the Esquire Magazine article from 1971 thatStarted It All for many of us. (Here's a Follow Up.
- The Playground Bullies Are Learning How To Type, the Forbes Magazine article that used my quote as the title. I was asked, "What kind of person writes viruses?".
- The Telecommunications Act of 1996 at the FCC Web Site.
- Universal Service was a concept that Theodore Vail brought to AT&T in the early 1900's. This page takes it into the next century.
- The Center For Democracy and Technology is a non-profit public interest organization based in Washington, DC. CDT works for public policies that advance civil liberties and democratic values in new computer and communications technologies.
- The Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 is something else you should know where to find. It's at theElectronic Frontiers Foundation, which has a Florida branch, the Electronic Frontiers Florida. Oh yes, and don't forget theElectronic Privacy Information Center. The privacy you protect may be your own!
- Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act
- The ICAAN Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy
- The ICAAN Rules for Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy
- NARUC's Home Page, the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners. Look here to find the Public Service Commission for your state. Have you ever considered playing with thepolitics of telecommunications? You can createlots more trouble this way thananything you think you could possibly do to The Network.
- Network World magazine sent me a form for a free subscription, but I never have time to read it. Their web site is interesting, though.
- Telephony Magazine has a web site. And of course, I weep for the loss ofTeleconnect Magazine has a web site. (There's a Rumour that Harry Newton may try to ressurrect the magazine.e-mail me if you have other suggestions.
- H323.Org is an open standards group for people interested in IP (Internet Protocol) Telephony.
- Asterisk, the Open Source PBX Software.
- Old Telco recordings
- Pat Fleet's website - custom recordings
- Allison Smith's IVR Recordings for Asterisk and other systems.
How To Call Abroad, How to call anywhere, from anywhere (even Romania)!.
Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility Home page. Boy, arethese guys troublemakers! (of course, they';remy kind of troublemakers) See them for backgrounds on major technology related issues. The EFF Endangered Gizmo List, The Electronic Frontier Foundation is listing as "endangered, saved, or extinct", those gizmos and devices that have had the innovation knocked out of them by repressive laws and lawsuits.
This looks like a good place to drop in some links for some Phreaks & Hackers of my acquaintence.
- Captain Crunch's Hyper Links. Can you find your way from here to his Home Page?
- FiveThirtyEight.Com video on the history of Phone Phreaking
- My buddyCap'n Zap sometimes sends me web pages in the e-mail. I have to save them in myweb space in order to read them. Sometimes I leave one or two lying around.
- PHISHING RED FLAGS, Things to watch out for before clicking a Hyperlink in an e-mail that could be a phishing message from someone nasty.
- Løpht Heavy Industries, who make the theoretical possible (well,Microsoft said their stuff was thoretical, and løpht made it possible!).
- NIGHTSTALKER took his name from a TV series of that name, and is now a member of the Cult of the Dead Cow. He's also a very old friend of mine.
- The Secret History of Hacking
- Antics you Don't Want To Try. You have been warned.
- I'll be learning how to get free SSL Certificates from LetsEncrypt.Org, so expect a session on it at the next HOPE conference in 2018.
YAHOO's Phone Phreak Hyper-Links. Well, you'dexpect me to have links like this, wouldn't you? But, why should I wastemy 3 megabytes of disk space, when these guys getpaid to keep this stuff up to date? Sorry, re-inventing wheels isnot in my job description.
Some Security Stuff
- Computer Security Resource Center
- Let'sEncrypt.Org, get your own free SSL (Secure Socklet Layer) Certificate from a trusted, CA (Certificate Authority).
- InfoWar.Com, Tell Winn that Cheshire says "Hi".
- Computer Emergency Readiness Team, a service of the Software Engineering Institute at Carnegie Mellon University. Certified Ethical Hacker Certificate - Yeah, I didn't believe it at first either. Trend Micro Housecall, a free virus and spyware scan via the Internet.
- Tiger Text, Encryption for SMS text messages. In case you have (for example) HIPAA issues.
- FTC Infosecurity, Information for cyber consumers from the Federal Trade Commission for consumers. It used to be the home of our old freind "Dewey, the Cyber Aware Turtle". At least it leads you to:
- US Govt Computer Emergency Readiness Team
- Spyware Alert
- CyberSmart Curriculum for grades K-8
- A Video on Consumer Information Security
- How To Stay Safe Online if You Use High-Speed Internet Access, good tips for anyone
- The SANS Institute
- CERT/CC, CERT® Coordination Center
- CyberCrime.Gov Computer Crime & Intellectual Property Section, Dept of Justice.
McGruff The Crime Dog takes a "Byte" Out Of Crime
- McGruff Safeguard
- Don't forget Cheshire's Internet Birthday information!
- What would the future Internet look like back in 1969? It's amazing!
Hacks I liked.
- GNU Radio
- The Silicon Graphics Refrigerator Project
- Computer Stupidities. Stupid User Tricks.
- Old-Computers.Com, old, crufty computers - of my dim and distant youth.
- The Online Software Museum, and the software that ran on them.
- Hack A Day, a great source of amusement!
- How To Become A Consultant
- Anatomy of the Linux boot process
- Rotary Cell Phone
- How to make a USB Battery
- Stripe Snoop, Read your own Mag Strip cards.
- Portable USB Apps
- SIW, Service Information - Windows
- PC Wizard, to tell you what's in your machine.
- North American Numbering Plan Administration is thenew custodian of America's Area Codes. The True Source of info on Area Code splits! Stuff you Need To Know. Of course these geeks can't call it an Area Code, it's aNumbering Plan Area! Download fresh Area Code Maps (you'll need to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat reader to view the PDF (Portable Document Files) that contain the maps).
- The Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions information.
- Federal Glossary of Telecommunications Terms. (I hope you can handle frames)
- Area Code Splits Quick Reference and effective dates. Click on the Area code of interest, for a list of the affected exchanges! Wonderful resource!
- Vertical Service Codes. (No, I don't know why they're called that) Codes (like *69) that let the telephone user do things.
- List of Tenex (10-10-xxx) Long Distance Carriers. WhoARE all those pesky new IXC's? (Inter eXchange Carriers)(You can also visit the FCC page on Carrier Access Codes)
- 10-10PhoneRates.com, showing long distance rates between the major 10-10 players.
- US Full Area Code/Single Exchange Query from TelcoData.US
- PhoneSpell.Org, what does your phone number spell?
- Area Code Change Details, provided by C E Service
- International Telecommunications Union (ITU) Recommendations the ITU cannot tell sovereign governments what to do; it can only make Recommendations (which tend to have the force of Treaties).
- Telephone EXchange Name Project, as in PEnnsylvania 6-5000
- Telephone History Links
- Bell System Technical Journal
- History of Phone Phreaking
- Histrical Documents
- Local Calling GuideThis site contains local calling, area code, and prefix information for Canada, the United States of America, and other countries which are part of the North American Numbering Plan.
- World Telephone Numbering Guide, an International Resource!
- CellSpotting.Com, A game for Nokia System 60 cell phone users.
Mobile Phone Stuff
- FrillFreePhones.Com, parts for phones, and refurbished equipment.
- CXtech.ComBusiness Phone System Equipment.
- Digium, the home of the Asterisk PBX Platform
- AnaVon Technology Group from Traverse City, MI.
- Put a Cell Phone on Your Desktop, but no longer available (unfortunately).
- Bluetooth 2.1-Enabled Wireless Desk Phone, Gives you a Desk Phone that is actually Bluetoothed to your mobile phone!
- SMS Short Code "Whois"
Another SMS Whois
- Unlocked Phones, Free Shipping. NO Coupons Code needed. Buy Now
- PHonePHriendly.Com, people who make web pages that are meant to be read on mobile phone web browsers. I happen to work here.
- 2 Letter State Codes, including postal abbreviations for common addressing terms.
- Canadian Postal Code Info, including Provincial Two-Letter codes.
- 3 Letter International Country Codes (Wikipedia).
- 2 Letter International Country Codes (ISO).
- International Paper SizesBluetooth Stuff
- BluejackQ, Instructions (and Code Of Ethics) on Bluejacking - the art of sending messages between Bluetoth devices.
- Nokia Bluetooth Page
- List of Bluetooth Enabled Phones, not considered complete, but somplace to start.Time Stuff
- Network Time Protocol
- A Summary of the International Standard Date and Time Notation, by Markus Kuhn
- Time Zones in XML, a draft paper.Other Codes
- American Standard Code for Information Interchange, ASCII
- US Gazeteer
- Geographic Name Information ServiceStuff Not Otherwise Specified
- The DCMA, the hated Digital Millenium Copyright Act of 1998
- The Kim Komando Radio Program
- NewEgg.Com, cheap computer stuff
- HotBits, Random Numbers
- Find Towers
- Technorealism - realizing that technological solutions arenot always the best solutions.
- PGP, Pretty Good Privacy. A good method for maintaining privacy, and authentication of messages. There's also a good site with lots ofpointers to crypto stuff (if you don't mind getting info from the Defense Information Systems Agency).
- Scanner radio reference page.
- The Chaos Computer Club of Germany. These are old buddies of mine (Hey Wau, you're missed, pal).
- You can be an International Arms Trafficker. It's easy, and fun!
- The Jargon File, the file which is the basis ofThe Hacker's Dictionary. There is History here. Should you have occasion to e-mail the Keeper Of The File, tell Eric that Cheshire said "HI". Thanx!
Technical Surveilance & Counter Measures, a site with information on bug frequencies, and other surveilance information. The Emergence of a Global Infrastructure for Mass Registration and Surveillance Why E-Mail Is Like A Penis, a humorous bit of e-mail I received. Shortly after that, I received a "chain letter" from TaRtHeAd onWhy Chocolate is Better Than Sex. (Hey TaRtHeAd! Where'd ya go?) The Church of the Subgenius is ready for you, ifyou are ready for Bob! Please take your sense of humor with you when you click on this. The Cartoon Bank is an archive of cartoons from The New Yorker magazine. (Thanx, Tephyr) I got interviewed by Iron Feather Magazine at Defcon 9. You can Listen to the interview if youdownload RealPlayer (or have it on yourcomputer already). DefCon Media Files, Inserted here when I started planning to attend DefCon 25 in 2017. An old song I wrote has shown up on the Web. I sang it on Swiss Television once, which probebly explains why it's in English, as well as translated into German! Find your name on the Internet, pikpuk.com/
Internet Pushes Polyamory to Its 'Tipping Point'
When theBeyond HOPE hackers conference was still on this home page, Named Links would take you directly to the part of the page without wasting your time to find them. If you've followed a named link from somewhere, and gotten here, please click on the Key Word below to get you where you now need to go to. Please e-mail me atCheshire@2600.Com if you think this was a good or a bad idea. I really need the feedback. Thanx!
If the named link that got you here isn't listed below, it has "timed-out". My apologies, but what took you so long?:-)>
The "Blue Balls" (above - asterisks on non-graphic browsers) have the named links connected to them. That's what got you here. Feel free to copy the technique.
The Beyond Hope Press Clippings, news reports generated on The Web about the conference.
Wired Magazine called me a Patron Saint! Here's the link to their report.
A Collegiate Study of Hackers, which I seem to have dropped out of, for some reason.
My Political Agenda
Soccer Has Reached America!
But let's play the world's game by the world's rules.In my identity as a mild-mannered gas cylindertester for a small obscure Space Shuttle subcontractor (I don't work there any more - I'm retired now), I was a Volunteer at theOrlando venue of World Cup 94, the world's most prestegious soccer match.I'm a computer geek, not a sports jock, but I support socccer as a gametherest of the world loves, that America is just getting into. It is also agame that we Americans are not trying to shove down the world's throat! Ilike that. ;-)>
- The lateste-mailed report from Sam'sArmy, the supporters group for the US National Soccer Team.
- Major League Soccer itselfhas a Home Page also.
- World Cup 2010 was in South Africa.
- World Cup 2010 Results, formatted for Mobile Phone Web Browsers.
I was a volunteer radio operator for World Cup 94 at the Orlando Venue.
What? You haven't figured out why I consider International Sports to bepolitical in nature? e-mail me at Cheshire@2600.Com, and I'll be happy to discuss it.
This web page has been lovingly hand crafted using only the finest pure ASCII characters (no "web page creation" software has been used). While this page has been wordsmithed to provide you with unfettered access to legible and cogent information, your browser may vary.Standard Disclaimer applies.
This page is Lynx Enhanced and proud of it.
While this page will be perfectly viewable on Notscape, and Microsoft Internet Expletive, it willalso be readable onLynx, the non-graphic web browser for people using text-only terminals in Public Libraries, terminals with speech synthesizers for the blind, and users accessing the web via Telnet.
| The author,|
is a member of
|Please read the HWG Position on Voice Browsers. Thank you.|
| The HWG has declared April as "Accessibiliy Month".|
Not everyone has graphic web browsers, you know.
| Also see my own paper on the subject,|
Counter reset on 2012-05-19